Save on your burst pipe repair with our specials and coupons.
Handling a Burst Pipe Emergency
While you can prevent a burst pipe with regular plumbing maintenance, once you’re forced into an emergency situation, it’s imperative to know how to handle it. The first thing you should do is to shut off the main water valve. This will restrict the flow of water into your home and limit any property damage.
If you don’t know where your main water valve is, our plumbing contractors can help you locate it while in route to your home. The next thing you should do is remove anything that is blocking the area of service. This helps our technicians get to the repairs as quickly as possible.
Finally, the most important part of handling a burst pipe emergency is working with an experienced plumbing company. At Cardinal Heating & Air Conditioning we have a full staff of plumbers that know how to repair burst pipes quickly, without breaking the bank.
5 Common Causes of a Burst Pipe
Preventing a burst pipe emergency is easy, all you have to do is know the most common causes, and avoid them. Some of these situations include:
- Frozen Pipes: As any homeowner in Sun Prairie can tell you, cold temperatures can wreak havoc on your home’s plumbing. Frozen pipe repair is often needed in the winter because water in the pipe freezes and then expands, causing cracks and complete breaks.
- Tree Roots: It’s important to never plant a tree with deep roots near your main plumbing lines. As trees grow and search for more water, the easiest source is your plumbing. The roots will grow into the smallest of leaks, and eventually destroy the pipes completely.
- Construction Damage: Before any work is done around your home, a contractor should always locate the main water lines. An excavation or heavy truck parked in the wrong area can all put a tremendous strain on your plumbing, eventually leading to a burst pipe.
- Scale Buildup: Scale is a mineral deposit that stems from hard water. This buildup can actually grow to completely block a pipe, causing significant pressure in your pipes that can eventually cause a rupture.
- Old Pipes: The plumbing in your home, like anything, has a life expectancy. If you own an older home, with lower quality piping, then a burst pipe may be imminent. Old pipes eventually deteriorate causing water leaks, and eventually a complete breakage.
Keep an eye out for any of these issues in your home. What starts out as a small water leak can quickly grow into a full-scale emergency.
Quality Services From the Experts
At Cardinal Heating & Air Conditioning we strive to provide our customers with a full-service experience. That is why we not only offer fast burst pipe repairs, but also help with water leak detection and repairs, which can prevent larger issues in your plumbing.
Visit our reviews page to see what some of our happy customers have to say about our services, or contact us today to schedule a plumbing inspection in your home.